COVID Safe Events
Queensland’s Chief Health Officer has approved the Industry Framework for COVID Safe Events, which facilitates the resumption of events held by businesses in Queensland under Stage 3 of the Roadmap to easing restrictions. Events may also be staged in Queensland in compliance with an Approved COVID Safe Plan.
Event Organisers should identify whether any of the following Approved Plans are applicable to their event in whole or in part:
- COVID Safe Industry Plans for specific industries or venue types, such as community sporting events, live music venues and hotels.
- COVID Safe Site-Specific Plan for the venue in which the event is being held, such as a stadium or convention centre.
- COVID Safe Professional Sporting Code Plans for professional sporting events.
Approved Plans are not for use by individual members of the public. These plans are specifically for business use only.
Where an event is outside the scope of an Approved Plan, or only parts of an event are covered by an Approved Plan, event organisers must follow the process under the Industry Framework for COVID Safe Events (as well as the relevant components of Approved Plans which are applicable to the respective parts of their event).
This Framework sets out key public health principles and event-specific public health strategies that will limit the transmission of COVID-19 at events and help event organisers operate safely, and is applicable for all events. The Framework does not alter the existing approval arrangements that apply to events. As an event organiser, you are still required to obtain the relevant approvals/permits from the venue/land owner, local council and/or Queensland Police Service.
The planned event must be hosted in accordance with the following conditions:
- Events up to 500 people: can proceed by following COVID Safe Event Checklist.
- Events with 500 to 10,000 people: develop a COVID Safe Event Plan and submit to COVID-19.Industryplans@health.qld.gov.au for approval by the local Public Health Unit.
- Events of more than 10,000 people: develop a COVID Safe Event Plan and submit to COVID-19.Industryplans@health.qld.gov.au for approval by the Queensland Chief Health Officer.
Organisers of events larger than 500 people and operating in compliance with an Approved Plan other than a COVID Safe Event Plan must notify the Public Health Unit of the event a minimum of 10 business days before the event by emailing COVID-19.Industryplans@health.qld.gov.au.
Should you have any queries relating to the Industry Framework for COVID Safe Events contact the Department of State Development, Tourism and Innovation.
On this page:
Hosting an event
Organisers must ensure compliance with Approved Plans for the relevant components relating to your event, including any specific requirements regarding approvals.
Organisers of events larger than 500 people and operating in compliance with an Approved Plan other than a COVID Safe Event Plan must notify the Public Health Unit of the event a minimum of 10 business days prior to the event taking place by emailing COVID-19.Industryplans@health.qld.gov.au. Specific information is required by the Public Health Unit as part of this approvals process. See ‘Requirements’ below.
Not all events will need to be covered under an Approved Plan. If there isn’t a plan applicable to your event, then you are required to comply with the Industry Framework for COVID Safe Events.
For more information about the COVID Safe Industry Plans please visit COVID Safe Businesses.
Events at private residences may be held as a structured event, i.e. run from start to finish, including contact tracing and cleaning after the event, by a business or entity in compliance with an Approved Plan and/or COVID Safe Event Checklist or Event Plan.
You can find out more about:
Requirements for COVID Safe Events operating under an Approved Plan (for more than 500 people)
The following information, along with supporting documentation is required:
- Business name of the company/organisation which is holding the event
- Trading name of the company/organisation which is holding the event
- Key contact person(s) that can answer queries regarding the event (before/during/after):
- position in organisation
- phone number(s)
- postal address
- Name of the event
- Date(s) the event will be held on
- Duration of the event (start and finish times)
- Location of the event (if multiple locations, each location and start/finish times for each)
- Applicable COVID Safe Plan(s) you are intending to operate under
- Estimated/known number of people attending the event (including staff)
- Overview of activities that will be occurring at the event. For example, could be a sporting event but in addition to the sports, there could be food stalls, merchandising, entertainment performers, rides, fireworks, etc.
Businesses are required to include evidence in your submission that you have consulted with relevant industry stakeholders during the preparation of your plan.
Statement of Compliance
Under the Framework, you must sign a Statement of Compliance in relation to your event:
You are required to print and complete the relevant Statement of Compliance for COVID Safe Events and display it in a prominent, visible location at your event.
Need more information? Call 134 COVID (13 42 68).
Fact sheets are available to help event organisers navigate the Framework:
- Having the appropriate documentation and approvals in place
- How to determine maximum patronage
- Advice for Organisers of Category One Events
- Advice for Organisers of Category Two Events
- Advice for Organisers of Category Three Events
- Advice for hosting a COVID Safe School Event