Resources and support for sport, fitness and recreation organisations
Read the Return to Play Guide for Queensland sport, recreation and fitness industries to see how sport, recreation and fitness can resume under Queensland COVID-19 restrictions.
This version has been updated with information about:
The Return to Play guide should be read in conjunction with the approved Industry COVID Safe Plan for your activity. The Stage 3 principles has been adopted and incorporated into existing Industry COVID Safe Plan.
For more information, contact the Sport and Recreation team:
- email SR_Covid19@npsr.qld.gov.au
- call (07) 3330 6166.
Framework for COVID Safe Events
Resumption of event activities should align with the COVID Safe Plan for Events. Organisations must ensure the relevant approvals are in place as seen in the Roadmap for Easing Restrictions:
- fewer than 500 people – no approval needed when following a COVID Safe Event Checklist
- 500 to 10,000 people – need a COVID Safe Event Plan approved by local public health units
- over 10,000 people – need a COVID Safe Event Plan approved by the Queensland Chief Health Officer
For sporting organisations, events can be defined as those that fall outside of regular competition structure or fixture (e.g. carnivals, championships, mass participation etc.)
Support for clubs
Got questions? We suggest checking in with your state-level organisation so they can provide advice specific to your sport or activity.
You can also contact your peak body:
- Pandemic risk management for businesses
- Safe Work Australia COVID-19 resource kit
- Volunteering Queensland
- Queensland School Sport
- Support for people with a disability
If someone thinks they have symptoms of coronavirus:
- call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84)
- notify your peak body and the Department Housing and Public Works (Sport and Recreation)
- communicate with officials, teams, participants, parents and carers.